Thursday, January 10, 2013

Around The World




Tight Rope Walking

Whether it was an opportunity or an imperative, I didn't know at that time, but in retrospect I believe now that it was greatly thrilling. Nigeria doesn't spring pretty images in many people’s mind, but when there aren't many options at one’s disposal; listening to one’s gut feeling is the only option available. Little did I know that the two and half years I spent in Nigeria would become one of the best experiences of my life?

Amid inhibited freedom and unbridled luxury, each day was a unique experience. The safety protocols written in everybody’s eyes with a dash of anecdotal evidences would be enough to give you goose bumps. Still, there was something which was uniquely and chillingly interesting. The Nigerian priest in a Hindu temple, the magic of money in everyday life, the one and only train line, the chauffeur driven car, the politician with a private jet – this world was like nowhere else. The spirit would make you running. In return the experience teaches you life’s many lessons that you cannot learn anywhere else. There is happiness in every situation; you just need to keep working towards that. You will definitely reach there.

Before Nigeria experience, I was a novice funambulist – a tight rope walker in the making. The Nigeria experience made me a seasoned funambulist. Life for me there was truly a tight rope walking - high on excitement, full of surprises but never a smooth walk.


The Dragon Project

In the fall quarter, I had to make a prototype for a design project on "reinventing meetings". The algorithm of the prototype looked like this:



The prototype development process - the algorithm on a piece of paper
The algorithm


I used this algorithm, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, a Screen Recorder and 4 hours, to create the prototype. Totally loved it.

African Library Project

I am very excited to become this quarter a board member of African Library Project, a non-profit organization in the valley. This non-profit organization established  children libraries in African countries.

http://www.africanlibraryproject.org/

It coordinates book drive in the US and partners with African schools and villages to start small libraries.

Before I go to sleep, can't resist mentioning that

The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And Miles to go before I sleep,
And Miles to go before I sleep. 

The promises I have made to myself....

No comments:

Post a Comment